Free Initial Consultation. 24/7 Phone Consultation

We Are Here to Help You.

Shea Law Group Has Been a Family Owned Practice Since 1997.

How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Illinois

Workers’ Compensation

When an individual is injured on the job, the first concern many people have is how they are going to pay for the resulting medical expenses, and the next is how will they continue to meet their everyday expenses while they recuperate. These concerns can be partially alleviated by compensation acquired through the workers’ compensation system.

When you or someone you know is injured in the workplace, the first thing that should be done is to file a claim. A workers’ compensation claim will likely cover any expenses you incur due to the injury including hospital bills, doctor bills, and wages for days when you were unable to work.

File and Notify

Filing a worker’s compensation claim is something all employees, especially those working in high-risk occupations, should know how to do. The first step is to notify your employer within forty-five days of the accident that caused your injury. If you wait until the end of that period, there may be a delay in receiving compensation.

If you do not notify your employer of the injury or suspected injury within forty-five days, you may lose your right to collect benefits. However, in the case of radiation poisoning/unsafe exposure, you have ninety days to alert your employer. If you are suffering from an injury which worsens over time, or other slow-progressing illness, you must alert your employer as soon as you recognize the injury and explain why you believe it is work-related.

When you notify your employer of an injury, you may do so in verbal or written form. However, if you provide notification in writing, you have a better chance of receiving your benefits. You cannot alert a coworker in place of your employer. You must also be sure to include the date and location of the accident where/when the injury was sustained.

Your Employer’s Responsibilities

Once you notify your employer of the injury, he or she should provide you with a list of medical providers who are covered by their insurance and alert their provider to begin the claims process.

If you were unable to work for more than three days due to your injury, your employer must begin making temporary disability payments within fourteen days or send you a written explanation as to why your claim has been denied or delayed. You must also be notified if any more information is required of you in order to process your claim.

Your employer should also file an accident report with the Illinois Workers Compensation Commission (IWCC or the Commission) within thirty days of your notice if you were unable to work more than three days due to the injury. Furthermore, if your employer does not respond to your injury claim, you must file a claim with the Commission.

Our Chicago Workers Compensation Lawyers at Shea Law Group

If you have suffered an injury at work and are unsure of how to file a workers’ compensation claim, or you are concerned you won’t receive due compensation, call Shea Law Group today. You can rely on our experienced legal team to make sure you receive the settlement you are entitled to. Our Chicago workers compensation lawyers are here to help.