Illinois Fifth In Nation For Bicycle Deaths
In 2014 report Illinois is among the top states for bicyclist fatalities. In its annual Spotlight on Highway Safety: Bicyclist Safety report, the Governors Highway Safety Association found that Illinois rounded out the five states with highest rates of bicyclist fatalities. Sadly, bicycle accidents are becoming more and more common in Illinois. The number of bicyclist deaths rising 16 percent from 2010 to 2012, the association saying 2012 is the most recent data available. With the city set to add more than 100 miles of bike lanes in the next few years, it is important to know your rights and team with an attorney to fight them when needed.
As a Bicyclist Know Your Rights:
- Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway should be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle. Cyclists must follow all rules of the roadway including, but not limited to, stopping at stop signs, following traffic signals, not riding on the sidewalk and yielding pedestrians.
- Bicyclists are protected form careless driving under the same ordinance that protects pedestrians.
- Motorists must pass a cyclist at a safe distance, at least three feet of space.
- Motorists must yield pedestrians when turning left at an intersection, as they would to any other approaching vehicle. Motorists are also prohibited from turning right in front of a bicyclist.
- Also called “dooring”, drivers are prohibited from opening a car door into moving traffic, which includes cyclists.
Parking in bike lanes or marked shared lanes endangers bicyclists by forcing them to merge with faster moving traffic.
Hold Negligent Parties Responsible
Most bicyclists are severely injured due to the negligence of other drivers on the road who fail to pay attention. In some cases, there may be more than one person contributing to the accident, making determining who is responsible even more difficult. Bicycle-motor vehicle accidents can be especially dangerous for the cyclist due to the obvious difference in size and protection. There are many serious injuries that can occur such as bone fractures, contusions and even death. At Shea Law Group we will help you fight for your rights and hold negligent parties responsible.
How We Can Help
Accidents involving pedestrians and bicyclists often have issues which distinguish them from other types of motor vehicle accidents. Personal injury lawyers at Shea Law Group have handled many cases on behalf of hundreds of clients throughout Chicago who have been injured in bicycle accidents. We understand your injuries and want to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, please call us at 1-877-365-0040.