Medical Device Errors
We Live In A Society That Relies On Technology
Technology has become an integral part of our everyday lives. We use the internet, computers and our mobile phones for just about everything; television, iPods, and tablets for entertainment. We rely on GPS to be able to navigate us around town. More importantly, there are technologies that help extend our lives through a range of medical devices. People rely on medical devices every day to treat complex medical conditions. As much as technology can enhance our lives and our medical treatments, it is not infallible. Several individuals see the positive results they are seeking from the use of medical devices, but like any technology – errors can occur from time to time. When medical device errors occur, there are serious consequences or even death.
The Most Commonly Used Medical Devices
- Breast Implants
- Dialysis Filters
- Hip and Knee Replacements
Actions That Could Give Rise to Medical Malpractice
- Failure to sterilize the device: Every medical device that comes in contact with a patient’s body need to be sterilized. Devices that will be inserted inside a patient’s body need to be properly sterilized to ensure that they’re free from all bacteria that could cause harm. Failure to sterilize medical devices is a common issue and cause for infections in hospitals and clinics.
- Failure to monitor the device: Often times medical devices need regular monitoring from a doctor or nurse. If the health care provider fails to follow medical device monitoring protocol, the patient’s conditions can worsen.
- Errors while implanting or fitting the device: If Mistakes are made when inserting a device, fitting a device, or surgically implanting a device, that could be medical malpractice on behalf of the health provider.
- Prescribing the wrong device: If a doctor, nurse or other health care practitioner uses the wrong device on a patient, minor to serious harm can result.
- Defective devices: If the physician knows that the medical device being used is or might be defective, that could give rise to a malpractice claim.
How Shea Law Group Can Help You
If you have suffered from a medical device error due to the negligence of your health care provider, you may have a medical malpractice claim. Every medical malpractice case is different; it is important to work with an experienced team of professionals to receive the best chance at a successful outcome. Here at Shea Law Group, your case is important to us and we understand the the seriousness of the injuries you have endured as a result of a medical device error. Please call us at (877) 365-0040 if you have been injured due to a medical device error.